Wednesday, April 3, 2013

/keyboardface

    Ever have one of those days where something happens and you just want to go back to bed and not get up till the next day? And then you hope when you wake up, not only do you get to start the day over, but you get to start things over from X date because you realize all this time you could have been doing X thing X way etc. etc. and so forth? Yeaahhh.....I just had one of those days.

     It all started with a file transfer from laptop to another. Actually, it goes farther back than that. Let me rewind a bit more. It all started a year and a half ago (approx) when my laptop's wireless radio decided to go kaput just months after the warranty expired. That's how things always work,right? Ninety-nine point nine percent of the time anything that decides to break will GUARANTEE too break/malfunction AFTER the warranty period. SO, for the next year and a half I deal with plugging in via ether net cable. This February I finally decided enough was enough. I dropped 40 bucks on a Belkin wireless thumb drive so I didn't have to do the whole plug in crap anymore. Now we are more up to date.

    So back to the file transfer. Halfway through my transfer my wireless thumb drive just shuts off. At first I thought maybe I lost signal. Looking at the other laptop though shows that wireless is still up and going strong. Ok....what the heck is going on? I unplug the drive and re insert it thinking maybe it will maybe reset it. No go. Me not happy. Me getting pissed. I grab the laptop that is still connected and Google Belkin support. After typing model number and searching through a few support topics and getting no results, I see the "chat with support" button. Yes! Clicky clicky. Not even 15 seconds later I am chatting with support and going through steps to resolve my issue. It was a matter of making sure my computer recognized my drive (yes) and then re-enabling it. Apparently it can shut itself off? I had no idea it could do that. All in all, it took a total of 5 minutes to get my thumb drive back up and running, mostly because of the chat time. Now that I know what to look for, I can do it in 5 seconds.

    So where is the part that makes my day just want to start over and rewind waaaay back? After finishing up everything I was doing, I decided for shits and giggles to go through the same process with my wireless radio (seeing as how it still showed up on the list). I saw that little "enable" button and was thinking "this better not...". I click it, unplug my thumb drive, and guess what? I still have wireless. Sonofabitch. I didn't know if I wanted to be happy, bitchslap my laptop, or what. A year and a half. A FREAKING YEAR AND A FREAKING HALF!

     Some days I hate my life  /keyboardface

-Sesshy

No comments:

Post a Comment