Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Movie Rant

   I just saw the commercial for "The Host" on my tv. I read the book. I absolutely LOVE the book. I have read The Host by Stefani Meyer about 2 or 3 times now. I don't even own The Host. I have to barrow it from my sister whenever I want to read it, and she lives 4 hours away. Yeah, yeah, I know. "If you LOVE the book that much, why not buy it?". Because I'm financially challenged, that's why. Plus, why buy something that someone else will let me use for free whenever I want?

   Ok, back on topic. The commercial. It pissed me off. THE ACTORS ARE ALL WRONG. What I mean is whoever picked the actors sucked ass and needs to go go read the book and learn what the characters should actually look like! If Stefani picked out the actors, well, no offense....I love her as a writer....but she stick to writing. I can't read the Twilight novels anymore because the movies just ruined everything for me as far as the looks of the characters. I only watched the 1st movie but it just sickened me. More on Twilight in a minute. Back to The Host commercial. The main character, Melani (aka Mel) looks too...innocent. WRONG! WRONG!WRONG! She is supposed to look like someone who can rough it and throw some punches (as well as take some!). She should is supposed to be a strong female leader. The person they have playing Jeb is completely wrong. Anyone, and I do mean ANYONE, that reads the description and 1st spoken lines of Jeb will automatically picture Sam Elliot. For those that don't know, or can't think of who Sam Elliot is, he played as the graveyard attendant/cowboy ghost rider in (obviously) the movie Ghost Rider. He also played Lee Scoresby in Golden Compass. For older people, you may remember him in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I remember the 1st time I read The Host and I read Jeb's first spoken line, Sam Elliot was exactly who came to mind. I have talked to several other people and they have told me the same thing. Of all the actors to get wrong, how on earth can they mess up Jeb???

  Back to Twilight. Unlike Harry Potter, where all the characters looked like they actually should have, the only actors to actually match their characters were Taylor Lautner, Peter Facilini (Carlisle Cullen), Rachelle Lefevre (Victoria), and Gil Birmingham (Billy Black). The rest were complete failures. Edward never looked at Bella with a calm, but confused look. Like he was trying to study her. He never looked over her with loving concern. When he got upset, he never did it with a sense of calming concern. Instead he always seemed like an emo teen full of anger and teenage angst. Bella always seemed like she was stoned. Sure, Forks looked like Forks, and the movie pretty much followed the book, but the actors did not (in my opinion) fulfill their roles as their characters. In the the Harry Potter series, at least the actors looked the part. They acted the part. It was the directors that strayed from the books as the movies progressed. Either way, the Harry Potter Movies held more true to their books both in capturing the essence of the character, and the world, than the Twilight movies ever did. And I have a feeling The Host is going to be the same blunder, as far as actors go, as the Twilight movies were.

  Well, that's today's today's rant. Peace out, rant on.

-Sesshy

No comments:

Post a Comment